Thursday 7 February 2013

Climbing Spinach....Ummm WHAAAAA?!

So a few months ago I came across a vegetable called climbing spinach, I decided to add it my garden because it had these stunning colours of purple, greens and some white.

I didn't add it because I enjoy spinach, in fact it's not really related to your typical spinach you find in most Australian gardens and restaurants; it's known in the Philippines as Basella alba, and comes from the Basellaceae family.

Blah blah why do we care you might say, we'll because it's damn tasty and I must have a tween moment *OMG TOTES CUTES!* Due to its stunningly adorable heart shaped leaves.

It's great chucked into a crab meat soup and adds flavour to a freshly caught fish wrapped in its leaves and baked.

I do have some gorgeous pictures I took earlier for you of this amazing plant, however google+ is taking some time to upload them, so I'll come back to you with those later.

Edit: PHOTOS!



They will be in supply at our next kitchen co-op, so take them off my hands and give them a whirl in the kitchen!

I'm not too well at the moment, so I'm going to make some pineapple sage tea (an entry for another time) and rest.

Toodles
Arika


No comments:

Post a Comment